Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dark Rhymes For Dark Times

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
 
How many times must I hear it said
before I accept the truth?

That I am just not good enough
and there's nothing I can do.

I first heard it back in high school
and it devastated me then.

Because deep down, somehow I knew,
that I'd hear it again and again.

I've heard it said so many times
that by now I have lost count

I wish I could change and make myself matter,
but I just don't know how.

I really don't want to change,
I'm happy with how I am.

But how I am ain't workin'
so I need a change of plan.

I've tried to change my looks
and change my way of thinking.

I try to keep my head above water,
but still I feel I'm sinking.

You can say I'm being foolish,
that I've just got the blues.

But you'd be sayin' different
if you walked a mile in my shoes.

Cause it's like an itch you just can't scratch,
and a feelin' you just can't shake.

And it's getting' to the point
where it's more than I can take.

But I've no desire to end it all,
I doubt even Death would have me.

So I'll just keep on livin' and
hopin' that someone will understand me.


IT'S NOT HARD
 
It's hard to be unwanted
and it's hard to be unloved.

It's hard to get back up
when all you get from life is shoved.

It's hard to lose your heart
to someone who doesn't give a shit.

It's hard to try and love again
and not give in and quit.

It's hard to see your childhood friends,
grown-up and happily married.

It's hard not to feel you've failed
and that your life is buried.

It's hard not to sit and sulk
and wallow in you hate.

It's hard not to curse the “gods”
who consigned you to this fate.

It's hard not to be cut and wounded
when others ignore your words.

It's hard not to feel
that life is a toilet filled with turds.

But it's not hard for me
to see through the pain and darkness.

I have dreams and drive and power,
that I've yet to harness.

It's not hard for me
to clear my head and realize.

That it's better to say I've failed
than to have never even tried.

It's not hard for me
to reconcile my hurt and cope.

Cause I'm still alive and kickin'
and where there's life, there's hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment